Monday, June 5, 2017

Russian Ethnological Museum

A few weeks ago I went to the Russian Ethnological Museum, which is a branch of the Russian Museum. The Ethnological branch mainly consisted of costumes belonging to various nations or regions belonging to the USSR. Other things were also on display, such as objects of daily life (i.e. tools, household objects, etc. etc.) As an artist and an illustrator influenced by my Russian/Armenian background to a great degree, I find it very important to have real life reference of what life looked liked in the world of pre-revolutionary Russia.

Fairy tales, folklore and legends come from a time far before the revolution and all literature stems from legends which are its building blocks. These legends which in turn inspire authors of old who then, in their turn, inspired authors of the new generations, are what inspires artists as well. As we look at what came before us we learn what has been done and we make new things, sometimes better, sometimes worse sometimes tremendously different, but always informed with what has already been created.

While I do not assume that all artists look to legends and literature for subject matter inspiration, I do think that much art comes from a sense of wanting to tell a story. My story begins within the country I was born in. Who knows where the story of my art will go to next, but for now I am still evolving and making sense of where I began.

While I was in the Ethnological Museum I took more than 400 photos. I will post them on my blog, a few at a time, for personal reference and of course if any other fellow artists or just curious viewers are interested, they will be available for your viewing pleasure.

In this posting I have selected all costumes from he Lithuanian region.



































No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)