Saturday, January 6, 2018

Russian Christmas

Today Tony and I are performing at the Dusty Monk in order to celebrate Russian Christmas here, in HOT Tucson, Arizona. I called my grandmother, who is in COLD St. Petersburg, Russia, to wish her a Merry Christmas and talk to her a little, since that is all we can do with an ocean between us. I realized a few days ago that when I left Russia this summer I bought my tickets in a great rush because I missed my husband so much after being away for almost two months that I didn't even realize that in only one more month it was going to be her birthday.

Knowing that I missed her birthday by a month in a situation that was not in all actuality a matter of emergency made me feel like I missed out on an opportunity in life to celebrate with her for the first time in 20 years. There were many things I did this summer with her that were magical and helped me reconnect with my country and my grandmother, but I still feel like I should not have rushed. She is 84 years old now and ever opportunity I get to see her may be my last. With the coming of my baby son I have been thinking a lot of a wish I have.

I want to be able to take him to Russia so she can meet him. My grandma may live to be a 100 years old or more for all I know, but I wouldn't like to find myself wishing I didn't miss out on an opportunity to connect with her if it does turn out to be too late. So as soon as it is feasible, I plan on taking the trip. For now, I'd like to post two of the many wonderful photos I took on this trip. I love these especially because of the festive table and scarves. This was taking in the last few weeks before my departure. We were splurging on the best caviar in town that we could possibly afford. After eating twice, though, we had enough.

This is probably what we would be doing today if I was in Russia with my grandmother, celebrating Christmas.



These photos remind me of on of my favorite Russian artists, Kustodiev. Below is one of his beautiful paintings. I'm working my way up to a series of paintings I'd like to do inspired by his themes and some of the photos I've taken in Russia with my grandmother at the table in the past as well as some of my beautiful Tucson lady friends. Something that's been in the works on my mind for a while now.


No comments:

Post a Comment

I'd love to hear from you :)